At the discovery phase of this project, and as allowed by the client's budget we conducted 5 homeowners and 3 contractors interviews in order to get a better understanding of the problem.
Considering the short deadline of 2 weeks, we chose this research method which allowed us to quickly get some context and a minimal amount of data to base our design on.
Some of the questions we asked were :
- What are you looking for when searching for a contractor ?
- What are the 3 biggest problems you encounter when looking for one ?
- What do you feel/think about the process of looking for a contractor ?
- What are your expectations regarding this search ?
- What are your expectations for a system supposed to bring you new leads ?
- Have you ever used one before ? If yes, what worked and what didn't?
- What's your context of use ? How would you manage leads without such system ?
- What problem the future product is supposed to solve for homeowners and contractors alike ?
- Why should homeowners/contractors use your product/service ?
- What do you think your product has not performed the way it should so far ?
The main insights were that homeowners as well as contractors were reluctant to use such website, mainly because of a lack of trust in the system (for both), but also the perception that the service would carry some sort of fees (for homeowner).
We changed our initial thoughts for improvement towards reinforcing trust and guidance thorough the use of this product.